Monday, April 21, 2008

Kimkins Starvation Diet

Remember Jimmy Moore's phone interview with Kimmer last summer? The part where she said "The purpose of Kimkins is for very quick weight loss. You can take a fiber hit for a few months to get to goal."

She was talking about a fiber "hit" but forgot to say anything about all the other "hits" that strike Kimkins dieters; hair loss, trashed thyroid, heart palpitations with possible permanent heart damage, muscle loss and bone loss.

Is it worth it? Is fast weight loss worth risking your health for? When there are safe alternatives? Like Atkins? No starvation necessary.

[Tippy Toes said this in a comment recently: "I have done many things to lose weight before. I was actually mad when they pulled Phen Fen from the market as I was almost at goal. Yes, I knew it was killing people but I also knew I would gladly pay the price to be thin at all costs."
I have to believe it was just a badly chosen expression, but it shows the desperation that drives people to try Kimkins.]


And when you have lost weight on Kimkins, what do you do then? To maintain? Or lose a few more pounds if you didn't make it all the way to goal? Continue to starve or see the scale go back up?

What's the point in losing weight if it's not going to stay off? And if your health is going to suffer in the process?

We seem to have a whole new diet community with ex-kimkins dieters that are trying to repair their metabolism. They are finding it very hard to maintain and even harder to lose.

Christin, the WW cover girl, has admitted struggling. Deni, also featured in WW, regained 20 pounds while eating 1200 cals per day. Tippy Toes doesn't really know what she is doing and is getting help from an Atkins expert, 2big4mysize. AmyB will be starting Atkins as well.

Is there any true Kimkins success story? I have yet to see one.

"The biggest misconception is that doing something in the short term will have long-term results"
[Elaine Magee, the "Recipe Doctor" for the WebMD Weight Loss Clinic]

8 comments:

Mayberryfan said...

Very poignant post! Quick results cannot yield long-term success. Very true and abundantly worth remembering. We all want the quick fix. It is human nature. But, it is reminders like this that help us remember that slow and steady wins the race every time!

OhYeahBabe said...

That's a powerful quote there at the end!

Another great post, Mariasol. You know... I wonder how things would be different if Jimmy Moore hadn't helped Heidi Diaz?

mariasol said...

OYB - Too funny you mention Jimmy. I have a draft since some time back written around the very fist interview Jimmy did with Kimmer but I haven't published it. I get so upset and start ranting so I abandon the project.

MrsMenopausal said...

Great post, Mariasol.

"Is there any true Kimkins success story? I have yet to see one."

Excellent question. I'd like to know the answer to that one myself.

Anonymous said...

mariasol said...
OYB - Too funny you mention Jimmy. I have a draft since some time back written around the very fist interview Jimmy did with Kimmer but I haven't published it. I get so upset and start ranting so I abandon the project."

Don't throw that draft away Sol! I for one, would love to read your blog on that subject!!!! Rant away babe!!!!

xo
~DivaDi

Anonymous said...

Nothing can be worth doing that to your body. Risk your health to get to a certain weight, is just daft. Good health and not anything else should be our ultimate goal!

Anonymous said...

Didn't Jimmy Moore make quite a bit of money in affiliates fees?

Did he offer to refund the money to anyone that joined through him?

mariasol said...

Anonymous - That is a very good point! He should have. But Jimmy being Jimmy, we will never see that happen.

Diva Di - One of these days I'll clean up my draft and post it. It's interesting (at least to me) to read Kimmer's made-up stories now when we know that it was all a lie.